To encourage and instruct those who desire to follow Jesus as they abide in Jesus and understand they belong in God’s family who impact the world.
Students in the MBC Institute will be able to:
- Demonstrate a general knowledge of the Bible, including a synthetic understanding of the major books.
- Evidence a general knowledge of theology and to articulate what they believe.
- Give thoughtful Biblical answers rather than packaged (canned or pat) answers to questions about issues of the faith.
- Research the truth for themselves rather than mindlessly accepting answers given to them by teachers.
- Use the tools of good Bible Study Method to follow the example of the Bereans in Acts 17:11, Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.
- Evidence an ability to biblically and theologically support their views on a specific contemporary issue.
- Evidence an increasing likeness to Christ as manifested in love for God, love for others, and the fruit of the Spirit.
- Do more than express academic prowess, but to have a practical application and focus as well.
- Evidence of an interest in and involvement in the local church or other ministries with which they are associated.
Certification and Non-Certification Tracks
There will be two options for taking classes. There is the Non-Certification/Audit Track and the Certification Track. The Audit track does not have any special requirements. A person can just show up. The Certification Track will meet the requirements below:
- The certification track is 6 semesters of at least 13 weeks of courses per semester. We expect that a student will not miss more than 3 classes out of 13 weeks to receive certification credit for a class. A certificate will be given upon the successful completion of each course. Students must present 6 completed certificates to receive the three-year certificate.
- Reading Requirements – no more than 50 pages per week or one podcast.
- Write on the back of the certificate what you have learned about God and what you will do in light of that.
- Final Interview.
Two courses in any field of study will constitute an emphasis.
Biblical Doctrine Emphasis
More advanced study; requires more home study; possible tests and or written assignments to grow in our understanding of following Jesus. Some course considerations are:
- Intro of Bible Doctrine (A nine-session introduction to systematic theology through a study of the foundational doctrines of the Christian faith.
- History of Doctrine in the Church (10-week course covering major historical events in Church history, councils, and church fathers.)
Biblical Studies Emphasis
Includes more in-depth study on individual books of the bible. Some course considerations are:
- Bible Study Methods.
- Some books of the Bible. These classes require Bible Study Methods as a prerequisite.
- Gospel of John
Leadership & Ministry Emphasis
This track is more designed toward leadership in the life of the church. These will involve both class and practicum opportunities. Some courses could require prerequisites. Some course considerations are:
- Some ideas might be:
- Teaching – principles of effective communication of God’s word. Communication principles and lesson development and organization.
- Local Missions – awareness and volunteering
- Missions abroad – How to join a mission trip – plan, raise funds, prayer partners, prepare for the trip, go on a trip and report back.
- This would be an opportunity for people to improve in their service to the church.
- There can be a lot of neat opportunities here: like grief support, marriage coaching, etc..
Spring Semester 2023 Sunday Morning 9:00AM
Course: Maturing in Christ 101 (15 Weeks)
Week 1 | Introduction to the Bible; Greg Buckles | January 15
Week 2 | Who is Jesus? Greg Buckles | January 22
Week 3 | The Gift of Salvation; Paul Duran | January 29
Week 4 | Prayer; Tamara McQueary | February 5
Week 5 | Victory Over Sin; Eric Beadle | February 12
Week 6 | Christ in Us; Tim Bozeman | February 19
Week 7 | The Holy Spirit; Greg Buckles | February 26
Week 8 | Understanding the Lord’s Supper; Greg Lingle | March 5
Week 9 | Understanding Baptism; Greg Lingle | March 26
Week 10 | Seeking God’s Will; Tim Bozeman | April 2
Week 11 | Jesus First – Lordship; Greg Buckles | April 16
Week 12 | Intro To How To Study The Bible; Greg Buckles | April 23
Week 13 | The Body of Christ; Tim Bozeman | April 30
Week 14 | (Mother’s Day) Generosity; Tamara McQueary | May 14
Week 15 | Sharing Our Faith; Eric Beadle | May 21
Fill out the following application to enroll in the certification track. We ask that every student, whether Audit or Certification donate $20 for each semester to cover course costs.
When available, we will provide a link to download course materials for the student to use and/or print for their use.
For further questions please talk to one of the members of the MBC Institute oversight team by emailing the church office at [email protected] and someone will get back to you.
MBC Institute is in the process of development so there are some things that are still being developed. Stay tuned for more details to come!